By Nina Cavalli and the American Academy of Pediatrics
Sleep needs vary from person to person, but there are some guidelines from the American Academy of Sleep Medicine for healthy sleep for infants and children.
The following are guidelines and not absolute times for a 24-hour period. Also, remember these hours include naps in the younger age groups.
- Infants (4-12 months): 12-18 hours
- Toddlers (1-2 years): 11- 14 hours
- Preschoolers (3-5 years): 10-13 hours
- Grade School- (6-12 years): 9-12 hours
- Teens (13-18 years): 8-10 hours
The following are tips from the American Academy of Pediatrics and persona- practice for healthy sleeping habits, which have been found to be beneficial.
1. Keep a regular daily routine. This includes daytime activities (meals, activities, play time, etc.) and a bedtime routine.
2. No electronics 1-2 hours before bed. This includes ALL electronic devices such as TV, cell phones, computers…anything with a screen. Al- screens emit blue light, which causes a decrease in a person’s melatonin level (a chemical in our body that helps with sleep).
3. For older children/teens: NO cell phones in bed as this WILL disrupt sleep when they ring in the middle of the night.
4. Be active during the day. Living in Florida, we can be outside most of the year enjoying the fresh air and sunny weather (don’t forget the sunscreen).
5. For older children (>5): No napping during the day/after school. This causes a disruption in the sleep cycle and can cause worsening sleep habits. Instead, let the child go to bed early and try resetting the sleep schedule gradually.
6. Avoid over-scheduling. Take time to wind down and give children the downtime they need.
7. For infants and toddlers: Do not put them to bed with a bottle of juice, milk or formula. Water is okay. Anything other than water can cause tooth decay. Feed or nurse, then put down for sleep.
8. White noise may be helpful for some children as a constant background noise may “lull” a child to sleep. There are free apps that can be used. Do not use music as background.
Parents understand the importance of getting enough sleep and how sleep affects the overall health of their child (and you).
Remember you are the role model for your children and set a good example.
Make sleep a priority for your family
2023 Superhero Race is September 17, 2023
This years event will be held from 7:30am – 11:00am in Downtown Celebration, Florida at Lakeside Park.
Registration is now OPEN at
Meet n’ Greet
Our free monthly Meet n Greet events offer new potential patients the opportunity to meet our providers and learn about our patient-centered medical home. We will address any questions, tour our beautiful facility, and tell you about our services.
All Meet n’ Greet events have limited spacing, so reserve your spot today by calling our office at 866-595-5113.
Happy Fathers Day!
Honoring all fathers, grandfathers, and father figures for their contributions to their children.
What clients are saying ...
We recently moved so now it takes us up to 45 minutes to get there when it used to take us 15 minutes but we’ll never change doctors.
The office is always clean and the staff is super nice, highly recommended
My family loves Dr. Anwer, he is a remarkable doctor. You can tell he is very passionate about his career and genuinely loves his patients which is so important. He doesn’t treat my kids like just another patient but instead takes his time to ask questions and really understand our concerns.
I really could not recommend this office and Doctor enough!
There was no wait time and super super friendly!!! I am so happy they took great care of us. Dr. C is Amazing too!! Super great listener and. Wonderful dr.
Although we are new there she seemed like she knew and understood very well my sons asthma conditions!! Thanks everyone!!! Lots of love for you all!❤️❤️❤️ Sincerely, Happy Mommy 😃😃😃💯💯💯💯
Our daughter said for the first time that she loved going to the doctor and that the doctor was very funny and kind to her, and like a parents made us feel safe, she explained everything to us, the treatment towards us was wonderful, recommended a thousand percent,
Dr. Toma is wonderful. Amazing ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
I have found that the doctors at this location are intelligent and educated in a wide realm of topics which makes the experience much richer, especially when it is your first child!
Quick to get patients a visit when needed and we usually don’t wait more than 5-10 min to be seen.
The staff was so helpful in making sure that the needed records for our girls were obtained from our prior provider. Our girls also loved the visit with NP Janil.
Would highly recommend this office.
She was patient, sweet, and very knowledgeable!
We left our appointment feeling very secure and with the practice that we chose!
If this is an EMERGENCY, please call 911!
Please note: email & website contact form correspondence is for non-medical communication only.
Office Hours: Mon – Fri 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
We accept most Health Insurance Plans.